A series of free seminars aimed at tackling misinformation and information overload in the digital world.
Leigh Curtis
Exeter Library is hosting a series of free seminars aimed at tackling misinformation and information overload in the digital world, starting on Monday 27 January.
The sessions, which are led by library staff, can be attended remotely or in-person at the library.
They will enable participants to evaluate the reliability of online information and provide tools to learn about almost any subject.
The first session explores what digital literacy is and how it affects the way information is consumed and digested, approaching digital media consumption using a cognitive framework.
The second session provides a practical explanation of how to trace online sources, identifying ways to locate reliable news and help distinguish fact from fiction.
The third and final session guides participants to paywall-free sources of academic literature, facilitating access to up-to-date research in a variety of subject areas.
Let’s Talk About: Digital Media Literacy begins on Monday 27 January 2025 at Exeter Library.
The second session takes place on Monday 10 February and the third on Monday 24 February. All begin at 5.30pm.
For more information and to book your place visit the Eventbrite website.
Don't just read Exeter Observer
Exeter Observer is a new kind of news organisation. Independent and accountable with a non-profit business model that serves the public sphere.
Many of our readers think Exeter needs the kind of reporting we provide so they chip in to cover our running costs.
Every penny we receive is spent on producing and publishing news, features and investigations and supporting our city's cultural and community life.
155 of the 300 paying subscribers we need to break even have signed up to support our work from less than £2/week.
Don't just read Exeter Observer. Join them today and get access to exclusive premium content and more.
Exeter City Council is about to seize the helm of Exe estuary maritime life: will it steer it onto the rocks?
Charges for waterways access are set to be imposed from the quay and canal basin to the coast under proposed Harbour Revision Order powers after six years of rising costs propelled by pursuit of Port Marine Safety Code compliance. They risk driving away craft of all sizes, from kayaks to yachts, while redevelopment threatens canalside land – but it’s not too late to change course.
The government has said it will write off 90% of the SEND services deficit accumulated by DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL to the end of March this year. The Devon deficit reached £171 million last October, among the largest in the country and £62.9 million more than the limit agreed with the government as part of its “safety valve” deal, according to a county cabinet report published last month. Devon County Council leader Julian Brazil said it had since risen to around £200 million. The council welcomed the announcement, although it will have to agree to change the way it offers SEND services under as-yet unpublished government plans, adding that it would need to “work through the detail” as part of its budget-setting process. The government also has yet to explain how it will pay for £6 billion of annual SEND spending from April onwards.
EXETER SCIENCE PARK has appointed a new chief executive to take over from Sally Basker, who will retire in June this year after more than nine years in the post. Appointee Lindsay Lucas will leave her role as Head of Training and Consultancy at social enterprise Cosmic.
1,250 people have signed a petition to save Guildhall Shopping Centre children’s play space LITTLE EXETER from closure. The petition calls on Exeter City Council, which owns the shopping centre freehold and borrowed £55 million to buy back its leasehold and redevelop the building in October 2021, to “intervene, support and advocate” to preserve the play space. Former Guildhall Shopping Centre marketing manager Nikki Fairclough, who founded the non-profit play space three years ago, announced its closure in November last year. It is due to open for the last time on Saturday 21 February.
Network Rail and Great Western Railway have confirmed that the lines running from EXETER ST DAVID’S to Barnstaple and Okehampton will remain closed until further notice for safety checks following last week’s storms. Dive teams will inspect submerged structures such as bridges and viaducts to check for damage. Limited rail replacement bus services are in place.
Two ex-Reform UK Devon county councillors have joined ADVANCE UK, a far-right party launched in 2025 and led by former Reform UK deputy leader Ben Habib. Edward Hill and Angela Nash won seats as Reform UK candidates in last year’s Devon County Council elections. Two months later Edward Hill was expelled from the party then Angela Nash left in September. Advance UK counts far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon – known as Tommy Robinson – as a member.
More stories
Exeter local elections to go ahead in May after government cancellation U-turn
Secretary of State Steve Reed withdraws decision following legal advice in face of Reform UK High Court challenge, leaving city council leader Phil Bialyk facing electoral oblivion.
Exeter City Council leader Phil Bialyk hides behind flimsy CEO capacity claims to contrive local elections cancellation
Labour councillors plumb new depths to cling to power – and personal financial gain – as government-backed contempt for democracy enables seven of eight executive members to avoid ballots in their wards until council abolition in 2028.
Exeter Rugby Group reports £10.3 million losses as Exeter Chiefs seeks new investor
Losses include £6.2 million loan write-off associated with Sandy Park Hotel owned by club chairman Tony Rowe.
Exeter is for Everyone event attendees outnumber anti-migrant marchers 14:1
Around 850 people took part in city centre event held under “Unite Against the Far Right” banner while “Unity March Exeter” attendees numbered around 60.
Plans for six-storey Summerland Street student block submitted for approval
Spinnaker Estates application for full planning permission for 180-bed redevelopment would increase number of student beds in immediate area to 1,754.
Devon County Council funding cuts set to reduce core library opening hours by 30%
Public consultation on changes explores possibility of closing some branches altogether despite claims to the contrary while Libraries Unlimited contract extension decision scheduled for six weeks before consultation ends.
Spotlight
Labour and Conservative councillors join forces to block Exeter city centre antisocial behaviour initiative
Rejection of voluntary and community sector calls for more inclusive response follows thirteen-year council failure to comply with legal duties under crime and disorder legislation in relation to Exeter Community Safety Partnership.