Upgrade to a paid Exeter Observer subscription and get access to exclusive premium content and more

Upgrade to paid
NEWS

Exeter rough sleepers night shelter to open all year round

Exeter City Council has approved plans to extend Magdalen Street night shelter opening from April to the end of September.

Naomi Parkinson

A night shelter that provides overnight accommodation for rough sleepers and homeless people in Exeter will now open all year round, following a planning decision by Exeter City Council.

The shelter, which is located inside the Magdalen Street gyratory at the head of Western Way in a building that was previously a series of bars and restaurants, has been open during the winter months since November 2018.

It will now also open from April to the end of September, when it will accommodate fourteen rough sleepers.

Its capacity is 26 during the winter, which can be increased to 40 if the council’s Severe Weather Emergency Protocol is activated, which usually happens when the temperature is forecast to fall below zero for three consecutive nights.

Dormitory style rooms on the first floor provide two or three sets of bunk beds per room, and a further eight beds are located on the ground floor.

Night shelter for homeless and rough sleepers in Magdalen Street, Exeter (side)

A report to a city council planning meeting on Monday 27 April said that as the building is already converted into a night shelter and community space for homeless people, year round use would make better use of the facility.

A planning officer told the committee that opening the night shelter during the winter months would be of significant benefit to its users while only having a minor impact on the surrounding area.

He also said it would reduce deprivation, contribute to social inclusion and support the homeless and rough sleepers.

Two objections were received from local residents, expressing concerns about a potential increase of the noise and disturbance they had experienced during previous winter opening.

In a written statement Nuala O’Farrell said: “There is a lot of noise and many public disturbances each week/month, with public intoxication, loud arguments, bad language and emergency services regularly on site.

“These disturbances can be heard through closed windows and shutters/curtains. However the impact, whilst noticeable, is reduced as local residents spend most of their time inside during winter.

“These issues will be magnified through the spring/summer months, with open doors and windows and residents trying to use their outside spaces.”

Phil Bialyk, Exeter City Council leader, said that he didn’t dismiss her comments lightly but would support the recommendation to support homeless people in Exeter.

Councillor Greg Sheldon added: “It would be more of a stain on the city if we didn’t provide somewhere like this as people would have to be sleeping on the streets.”

Night shelter for homeless and rough sleepers in Magdalen Street, Exeter (rear)

The application to extend the shelter opening hours was approved. Conditions included the implementation of a revised management plan that requires the continuous presence of a minimum of two experienced staff on site during operating hours.

The staff are trained to work with people with complex needs and to deal effectively with challenging incidents and behaviour, and have 24 hour access to an on-call manager for support and advice.

However, speaking at the meeting Nuala O’Farrell said that the existing management plan for winter opening was not being followed, with police called out once or twice a week and only then for cases where disputes escalate and staff are unable to deal with them.

Committee members said they recognised the issues raised and stressed the importance of strict adherence to the management plan, which is delivered via a partnership between Exeter City Council and Bournemouth Churches Housing Association, which also runs Gabriel House on Smythen Street.

Subscribe to The Exeter Digest - Exeter Observer's essential free email newsletter

Your personal information will be processed and stored in accordance with our Privacy Policy

The shelter will now open from 6pm to 9am Monday to Friday and 6pm to 12pm on weekends and bank holidays from April to the end of September. The extended weekend hours are intended to cover a gap in provision at St Petrock’s homeless shelter, which does not open then.

A spokesperson for the city council said: “In 2018/19 a total of 188 people used the night shelter, with over 50 moving on to more suitable accommodation, preventing them from further spells of homelessness and rough sleeping.

“From October 2019 to the start of February, 100 people have accessed the night shelter.”


The virtual planning meeting at which the decision was discussed on 27 April was adjourned due to a broadband outage, and subsequently reconvened on 4 May when the decision was confirmed.


Democracy doesn't work when people don't know who is deciding what on whose behalf and what the costs and consequences of those decisions will be.

Exeter Observer is proving that reader-funded media can deliver the independent public interest journalism our local democracy needs.

Upgrade to a paid Exeter Observer subscription to support our work and get access to exclusive premium content and more.

More stories
Exeter Energy heat plant indicative render north elevation

Exeter City Council disregards national planning policy and Environment Agency criticism to approve Riverside Valley Park flood zone heat plant plans

Five gas boilers to provide 80% of “low-to-zero carbon” Grace Road Fields plant generation capacity for distribution to institutional consumers through privately-run 13-mile underground network expected to take ten years to complete.

University of Exeter West Park redevelopment demolition block plan

West Park redevelopment demolitions to proceed to enable intrusive unexploded ordnance surveys before works can begin

Five year-old University of Exeter plans to provide 2,000 new student bedspaces in blocks up to nine storeys tall by demolishing up to 30 buildings on fifteen acre Streatham campus site about to take seismic step towards delivery.

His Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary Fire and Rescue Services logo

HMICFRS identifies sufficient Devon & Cornwall Police improvements to return force to routine monitoring

Inspectorate decision follows nearly three years of enhanced monitoring after force found inadequate in three of nine areas and requiring improvement in two more, but says “still work to do” in crime recording standards and investigations management.

Devon & Cornwall Police deputy chief constable Jim Colwell, previous chief constable Will Kerr and interim chief constable James Vaughan

Devon & Cornwall Police deputy chief constable Jim Colwell receives 18-month misconduct warning

Outcome of Independent Office for Police Conduct investigation delivered day before retirement of suspended chief constable Will Kerr announced, with Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez unwilling to say whether “golden handshake” agreed.

Newtown active travel scheme map

Newtown active travel scheme approved after four years of public consultations

Joint Devon County Council and Exeter City Council project includes road closure, car parking changes and contraflow Clifton Hill cycle lane.

On Our Radar
Summer at the Quayside illustration

TUESDAY 29 JULY TO FRIDAY 29 AUGUST 2025

Summer at the Quayside

A month of free family activities including weaving, felting, doodling and drumming.

EXETER QUAY

Exeter Street Arts Festival mural painting

SATURDAY 30 AUGUST 2025

Exeter Street Arts Festival 2025

The annual festival returns with street art, drumming, dance, workshops, walkabouts and live music.

EXETER CITY CENTRE

Burnet Patch Bridge spanning an eighteenth century cut in Exeter City Walls

FRIDAY 12 TO SUNDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2025

Heritage Open Days 2025

Annual festival returns with free talks, tours and exhibitions at heritage sites in and around Exeter.

EXETER CITY CENTRE