Exeter Observer provides free key topic workshops which cover specific local, subregional and regional public interest issues in depth to help contributors better understand policy and practice in and around Exeter.
Workshops covering practical journalism skills such as making requests under freedom of information legislation are also planned.
Workshops are presented in three hour small group sessions and are supported by resources which include notes, references and documents such as relevant local strategies and policies.
Attendance at the workshops is normally restricted to Exeter Observer contributors. If you are interested in taking part, please get in touch to request a place, including a few details about yourself and why you want to come along.
Key topic workshop notes
- Exeter regional arts & culture
- Exeter regional climate & environment
- Exeter regional democracy & governance
- Exeter regional economy & enterprise
- Exeter regional education & skills
- Exeter regional health & wellbeing
- Exeter regional planning & place
- Exeter regional transport & mobility
Journalism skills workshop notes
- Digital information and communications security
- Local government finance, budgets and accounts
- Freedom of Information requests
- Data journalism
Analysis ⁄ Planning & place
Exeter City Council has approved plans to develop land at Pinhoe with a parking ratio of 2.4 cars per household as part of an "exemplar scheme for future residential development in the city" while accepting that zero carbon construction comes "at a cost to the provision of affordable housing".
News ⁄ Planning & place
Devon County Council is to develop new town centre facilities including a children's centre with public health nursing provision, youth centre with indoor and outdoor recreational spaces and library with small café.
News ⁄ Democracy & governance
Council revenues have fallen dramatically during the coronavirus pandemic, prompting a £6.357 million capital spending deferment. But financial support from government has so far been limited.