- agile new form of Fourth Estate
- 300+ independent local news titles appeared in UK/Eire in recent years
- some online only, others publish regular print editions
- avoiding pitfalls of legacy local media business models
- delivering local public interest news and information
- Bristol Cable founders: “We’re holding people to account for their actions” (Guardian)
- The rise of the hyperlocals (In Publishing)
- UK’s oldest hyperlocal celebrates its 25th birthday (CCJ)
- Bedford Independent claims to reach 76,000 monthly readers six months after launch (Press Gazette)
NB all four above titles published by Social Spider CIC
NB Exeter two tier city 130k (171 of 326), 18m2 (274 of 326)
Analysis ⁄ Community & society
Exeter City Council has yet to confirm whether it will use any of the £2.15m Rough Sleeping Initiative funding it has received since 2018 to keep housing rough sleepers when government emergency accommodation funding runs out.
News ⁄ Climate & environment
Chief Executive warns that resourcing the plan is "problematic" given COVID-19 financial challenges and that lack of resources limits the council's capacity for immediate practical action.
News ⁄ Transport & mobility
Deadline for action on social distancing for safe travel set by county cabinet member passes despite Devon receiving £1.7 million share of government emergency fund.