Exeter Observer produces guides to help potential contributors on the journey from novice reporter to seasoned feature writer.
- News writing
- News brief
- What is news?
- Objectivity, neutrality, impartiality & balance
- Information sources
- Perspective sources
- Multimedia collateral & copyright
- Feature writing
- Research resources
- Data protection & media law
- Local government transparency & information access rights
- Exeter regional democracy & governance
- Exeter regional planning & place
- Exeter regional transport & mobility
- Digital information and communications security
Guides covering other Exeter regional policy and practice areas are also being prepared.
Contribute to Exeter Observer
Exeter Observer welcomes contributions from aspiring or experienced writers, editors, photographers and film makers who want to help create and deliver our independent public interest journalism.
We offer support to help regular contributors refine story ideas, develop journalism skills and gain confidence.
We also offer community journalism training courses designed to help potential contributors quickly develop core journalism skills and produce publication quality content, with support from our experienced editorial team.
If you are interested in holding wealth, power and influence to account and are prepared to put time into reporting on issues that matter to local people then we’d like to hear from you.
Please see our guide to pitching a story and take a look at the guides we have produced to help potential contributors on the journey from novice reporter to seasoned feature writer.